Welcome to your on-demand cooking experience! In this class, Chef Tucker will walk you through each step to create her Shoyu Ramen from scratch, with braised pork belly and marinated eggs. She spent years developing this recipe and honing her craft while cooking in some of San Francisco’s top restaurants, and we must say all of her studying has really paid off!
She'll guide you through her ramen recipe from start to finish, teaching you a ton of culinary skills along the way. Please follow the tabs to the left to find the recipe, culinary tips from Chef Tucker, wine pairing suggestions, and your on-demand video.
1. Boil the eggs to your desired doneness, just make sure to have your ice bath ready! The cold water stops the eggs from overcooking.
2. If you’ve never used bonito flakes before, get ready to meet your new favorite flavor enhancer! Katsuobushi, or bonito flakes, are thin slices of dried, smoked tuna commonly used in Japanese cuisine. They’re great for making dashi, as I’ll show you in this class, or even to sprinkle on top of vegetables or rice—or you can get creative and use them in your savory dishes to add a delicious umami flavor.
3. Be careful not to overcook the noodles! Because we’ll be using fresh noodles for this class, they cook very quickly: be sure to start checking them just before 3 minutes.
4. Always use a very sharp knife to slice scallions and tender herbs. Sharp knives are an essential tool for any great chef, but with scallions and herbs in particular, a sharp knife will help you slice through them without bruising!
5. Avoid the temptation to slice into your crispy braised pork belly when it’s fresh out of the oven! Though we love a Chef’s snack here at Truffle Shuffle, you need to give the meat some time to rest so it stays juicy.
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions that may help.
1. Print shopping list and procure the ingredients from your local grocery store.
2. Download, print and review the provided step-by-step recipe.
3. Prepare your mise en place as indicated on the recipe.
4. Review Culinary Tips from the Chef.
5. Begin the video class and be ready to enjoy a delicious meal!