Recipe a day
Master Sushi Class with Chef Jackson Yu of Omakase in San Francisco
Salmon Avocado Sushi
- 2 cup Japanese sushi rice (short grain)
- 3 oz Sushi rice vinegar
- ¼ lb Kanpachi
- ¼ lb King salmon
- 1 bunch Scallion
- 1 oz Salmon roe
- 1 ea Hass avocado
- 1 ea Lemon
- 6 oz Kanikama crab meat
- 1 pack Nori sheets
- 1 container Pickled ginger
- 1 container Fresh wasabi
- 1 container Chef Jackson’s soy sauce
Mise en Place
- Cutting board
- 2qt Sauce pot with lid
- Sushi mat
- Large mixing bowl
- 1 cup Measuring cup
- Wooden spoon
- Kitchen towel
- Plastic wrap
Sushi Rice Vinegar Recipe (for your future sushi making)
- ¾ cup Japanese rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1 small piece Kombu
- Cut the nori sheets in half.
- Make the kanpachi maki roll by spreading a thin layer of rice on top of a nori sheet, topped with some of the chopped fish, and roll with the sushi mat!
- For the 49er roll, Slice the salmon and thinly slice the lemon.
- Spread a thin layer of rice on a nori sheet. Flip it over so the rice is facing down.
- Lay some kanikama, and avocado on the nori and roll.
- Lay slices of salmon and lemon on top; shape with plastic wrap.
- Slice and serve with some salmon roe on top!!
To Make the Sushi Rice Vinegar
- Place the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the kombu, and allow it to come to room temperature.
To Make the Sushi Rice
- Place the sushi rice in the mixing bowl and cover with cold water.
- Gently move the rice in the bowl with the back of your hand to wash the rice.
- The water will turn cloudy.
- Drain the water and repeat this process about 8-10 times or until the water runs clear.
- Transfer the washed rice into the strainer and allow the rice to sit for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place the rinsed rice in the 2 qt sauce pot and cover with 2 ½ cups of water.
- Bring the rice to a simmer, cover, and reduce the heat to very low.
- Allow the rice to cook for 20 minutes, then remove the rice from the heat and let it sit off the heat for an additional 25 minutes.
- Transfer the rice into the large mixing bowl.Pour the sushi rice vinegar on top of the rice and mix into the warm rice.
- Cover the rice with a towel and keep at room temperature