Rich and nostalgic without crossing the line to overly sweet, this homemade eggnog is dangerously delicious with or without the addition of your favorite dark spirit. I recommend using the highest quality eggs you can get your hands on as they account for much of the experience (it's in the name, after all.)
2 cups whole milk
1 cup cream
1 whole nutmeg pod
1 stick cinnamon
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Brandy, Cognac, rum, or whisky (optional)
• In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the milk, cream, a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt, and a generous shaving of nutmeg and cinnamon to a simmer. One simmering, turn the heat to low.
• Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
• Ladle small amounts of the hot milk and cream into the egg mixture to temper.
• Once almost all of the hot milk and cream has been added, add the entire mixture back into the saucepan.
• Continue cooking on very low heat, whisking constantly, until it comes to a simmer and thickens slightly.
• Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
• Serve hot or chilled, in your favorite Holiday mug along with 2 ounces of brandy, Cognac, rum, or whiskey if desired. Finish with freshly grated cinnamon and nutmeg. Cheers!