Eggless Cavatelli Pasta
- 1¼ cup semolina flour
- 1¼ cup 00 flour
- 1 cup warm water
1. Set aside ¼ cup of semolina flour. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the remaining semolina flour and 00 flour.
2. Slowly pour just under 1 cup of warm water into the mixture, and use your hands to squeeze and combine the water into the flour.
3. Continue pressing and squeezing until a shaggy dough begins to form. Use the remaining warm water to bring the dough together if necessary.
4. Form the dough into a rough ball and transfer to your work surface. Knead until soft, smooth, and supple. Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside to rest at room tempertaure for at least 20 minutes.
5. Once rested, dust a sheet tray with the reserved semolina flour.
6. Cut off a small strip of the dough, keeping the remaining dough covered. Lightly press with your hands to roll the strip into a long, thin “snake.”
7. Dust with semolina flour and slice into ¾-1 inch-wide chicklets.
8. Use your thumb to apply gentle pressure in a dragging motion away from you to create a hollow (this can also be done on a gnocchi board for added texture).
9. Continue with the remaining dough, transferring the rolled cavatelli to the baking tray.
10. Cook in boiling, salted water until done, about 4-6 minutes.