Chef Tyler’s Whipped Potato Casserole with Farmer’s Cheese, Buttermilk, and Truffles
6-8, as a side
Absolutely delicious for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and everything in between, these decadent holiday potatoes are that perfect middle ground between peeled and unpeeled, smooth and textured. Fantastic on their own, but wait until you try them with a layer of golden brown, delicious melted cheese and truffles on top.
3 ounces Point Reyes Toma (cheddar or any semi-hard artisinal cheese would also be delicious), grated
2 pounds fingerling potatoes, peeled and cut the fingerling potatoes into 1-inch pieces
1½ pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (unpeeled)
5 ounces (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, diced
Truffle Carpaccio (optional)
1 pint buttermilk
1. In a large pot, cover the potatoes with cold water.
2. Add a pinch of kosher salt and turn the heat to medium-high. Bring to a simmer, then adjust the heat to maintain a simmer until the potatoes are tender.
3. Use a fork to remove half of the truffles from the Truffle Carpaccio. Finely chop and set aside, along with the remaining truffles for garnish.
4. When the potatoes are tender, drain and return them to the pot. Use a wooden spoon or masher to crush.
5. Turn the heat to low and stir with a whisk until the potatoes dry slightly.
6. Slowly add the buttermilk, stirring continuously to incorporate.
7. Whisk in the butter and whip the potatoes until smooth.
8. Taste and adjust the seasoning with Balinese Truffle Salt.
9. Transfer the potatoes into a casserole dish and top with the grated cheese and chopped Truffle Carpaccio.
10. If serving immediately, set your broiler to high and broil, uncovered, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Finish with a sprinkle of Balinese Truffle Salt and garnish with sliced Truffle Carpaccio. If storing, set aside to allow the potatoes to come to room temperature, then cover with aluminum foil and store in your refrigerator, ready to reheat for the big day!
1. Preheat your oven to 400F.
2. Bake, covered with the aluminum foil, until warmed through, about 20 minutes.
3. Remove the foil and turn your oven to broil and broil until GBD (Golden Brown & Delicious). Finish with a final sprinkle of Balinese Truffle Salt.