Truffle Mac & Cheese
Mise en Place
- Cutting Board
- Large Bowl
- Medium Sauce Pot
- Wooden Spoon
- Small Saute Pan
- Cheese Grater
- Large Pot with Lid
- 1 cup Measuring Cup
- Cast Iron Skillet or Pyrex Container
( * Please keep refrigerated before class )
- 2 oz Butter*
- ⅓ cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 clove Garlic
- ¼ tsp Dried Thyme
- 9 oz Rallenti Macaroni
- 3 tbsp AP flour
- 1 pt Milk*
- 1 pt Cream*
- 1 packet Balinese Truffle Salt
- 1 jar Truffle Carpaccio
- 5 oz Cheddar*
- 5 oz Mozzarella*
- 1 ea Bay Leaf
- 7 oz Cowgirl Creamery Wagon Wheel*
Prep During Class
- Fill the large pot with water, about 1 inch from the top, and bring to the boil.
- Chop half of the Truffle Carpaccio.
- Grate all of the cheese. Reserve 1 cup of grated cheese and set off to the side.
- Mince the garlic clove.
How to Cook
- Heat the butter in the 2 qt saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook the minced garlic in the butter with a pinch of the Balinese Truffle Salt until soft.
- Add the flour to the pan and cook over medium-low heat, stir with a wooden spoon for 3-5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the milk to the pan, and turn the heat up to medium-high. Whisk until boiling.
- Add the remainder of the milk and all the cream, bring this mixture to a boil again.
- Add the bay leaf and continue whisking.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, remove the bay leaf, and add all of the grated cheese (with the exception of the 1 cup we are reserving for later).
- Season the large pot of boiling water with salt, add the macaroni, and cook until al dente (for 8-9 minutes).
- Strain cooked pasta and add it to the cheese sauce. Season with Balinese Truffle Salt.
- Add the chopped Truffle Carpaccio to the pan containing the pasta and cheese sauce. Stir until combined.
- Heat the broiler to high and transfer the mixture to the pyrex container or cast iron skillet.
- Top the Mac & Cheese with the remaining 1 cup of grated cheese, place under the broiler and cook for 2-3 minutes or until brown and bubbly on top.
- Toast the panko in a small saute pan on the stove.
- Top the broiled Mac & Cheese with Truffle Carpaccio and toasted panko. Enjoy!