Hand Cut Pappardelle with Pomodoro and Truffles
Mise en Place
- Cutting Board
- Rolling Pin
- Plastic Wrap
- ½ cup Measuring Cup
- Mixing Bowl
- Large Saucepan
- Large Pot
- Cheese Grater / Microplane
- 1 ½ cup 00 Flour
- 1 cup Semolina
- 2 ea Eggs*
- 2 ea Egg Yolks*
- 1 tsp Olive Oil (for dough)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil (for sauce)
- 1 ea Shallot
- ¼ head Fennel*
- ¼ cup Cream*
- 16 oz Crushed Tomato
- 1 packet Balinese Truffle Salt
- 1 oz Parmesan*
- 1 jar Truffle Carpaccio*
Prep During the Class
- Fill the large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Combine 00 flour and semolina in the mixing bowl, stir together.
- Remove ½ cup of mix for “bench flour”.
- Lay flour and semolina mix on a large cutting board or counter top, make a well in the center.
- Add the eggs, egg yolks, 1 tsp olive oil into the well. Whisk with a fork to combine.
- Incorporate the egg mixture into the flour mixture using your finger.
- Form into a shaggy dough and begin kneading. Knead for approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and set aside to rest.
- Finely chop the shallot and fennel.
How to Cook
- Sweat the shallot and fennel in ¼ olive oil over medium-low heat in the large saucepan.
- Add all of the crushed tomato, reduce to a simmer, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and bring to a boil, season with Balinese Truffle Salt. Set aside.
- Roll out and cut the pasta.
- Lightly season the pot of water, cook the pasta for 1-2 minutes. Drain and reserve ½ cup of cooking liquid.
- Combine cooked pasta and the reserved cooking liquid with the sauce. Add Truffle Carpaccio.
- Toss to combine. Season with Balinese Truffle Salt, shave parmesan over top, and enjoy!