Fresh Pasta Carbonara with Black Truffle Tartufata
Mise en Place
- Cutting Board
- Rolling Pin
- ½ Measuring Cup
- Large Pot
- Large Saute Pan
- Plastic Wrap
- Cheese Grater / Microplane
- Wooden Spoon
- Sheet Tray Lined with Parchment Paper
( * Please keep refrigerated before class )
- 1 ¼ cup 00 Flour
- 4 ea Egg Yolks*
- 1 ea Egg*
- 1 tsp Olive Oil (for the pasta dough)
- 1 ea Lemon
- 2/3 cup Cream*
- 3 oz Pancetta*
- 1 oz Olive Oil (for the sauce)
- 1 ea Shallot
- 1 packet Maitake Mushroom*
- 2 ea Egg Yolks (to finish the sauce)*
- 1 oz Parmesan*
- 1 jar Black Truffle Tartufata*
- 1 packet Balinese Truffle Salt
- 1 bunch Chives*
Prep During the Class
- Fill the large pot with water, cover, and place on the stove on low heat.
- Remove ½ cup from the 00 flour and reserve as bench flour.
- Lay the remaining flour on the counter top, make a well in the center, and add the egg yolks, whole egg, and olive oil. Whisk the eggs and oil together with a fork.
- Using your index finger like a dough hook, mix the eggs into the flour until shaggy.
- Knead the dough until smooth, about 5-8 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest.
- Peel and finely mince the shallot. Cut the mushrooms into 1 inch pieces. Dice the pancetta. Slice the chives.
- Roll out the pasta dough and cut into tagliatelle. Transfer the tagliatelle to the sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Dust with flour and set aside.
How to Cook
- Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat and add pancetta. Saute for about 2 minutes to render the fat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until lightly caramelized.
- Add the shallot and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt. Cook until the shallot is soft.
- Add the cream and the tartufata and bring to the boil.
- Lightly season the large pot of boiling water and cook the pasta for 2 minutes or until al dente.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and drain the pasta.
- Add the reserved pasta water to the sauce and bring back to a simmer.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in the egg yolk as the liaison for the sauce.
- Grate half of the Parmesan cheese into the sauce and fold in the pasta. Toss the pasta in the sauce.
- Adjust the seasoning with Balinese Truffle Salt and lemon.
- Split the carbonara between two plates and top with more grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!