Recipe a day
Roast Chicken Demi-Deuil
Roast Chicken Demi-Deuil
Mise en Place
- Cutting Board
- Paring Knife
- Medium Bowl
- Small Pot
- 2qt Pot
- Wooden Spoon
- Pastry Brush or Spoon
- 13x9” Pyrex Container
( * Please keep refrigerated before class )
- 1 ea Mary’s Chicken, 2.5-3lbs*
- 1 ea Onion
- 1 ea Shallot
- Fingerling Potatoes
- 1 pint Button Mushrooms*
- 6 sprigs Thyme*
- 5 cloves Garlic*
- Fresh Burgundy Truffle*
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 24 oz Bone Broth*
- 20” Butcher’s Twine
- 1 oz Butter (for sauce)*
- 1 tsp Sherry vinegar
- 1 packet Balinese Truffle Salt
- 2 oz Black Truffle Butter (for Chicken)*
Prep the Night Before
- Remove the chicken from the packaging and dab dry with paper towels.
- Place the chicken on a plate and place in the fridge, uncovered, overnight.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil and transfer to a bowl. Place in the fridge until the class. This is just to make sure it’s not frozen for the class the next day.
Prep During the Class
30 minutes before the class remove the chicken from the fridge and allow it to temper.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Cut the onion into 1 inch pieces. Wash and cut the button mushrooms in half, and cut the fingerling potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Slice the truffle into 1/8 inch slices.
- Place the chicken on the cutting board and remove the wishbone with the paring knife.
- Lay the chicken on its back and slide your fingers under the skin of the breast and thighs.
- Gently, lay the slices of truffle under the skin of the breast and a slice of truffle under the skin of each thigh.
- Melt the Black Truffle Butter in the small pot over low heat and set aside.
- Truss the chicken by tying the bird with butcher’s twine.
- Place the cut vegetables in the pyrex container and top with the thyme sprigs and garlic cloves.
- Lay the trussed chicken on top of the vegetables and brush the chicken with the melted Black Truffle Butter. Season generously with Balinese Truffle Salt.
How to Cook & Make the Sauce
- Place the chicken into the oven and cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Next we make the sauce. Finely mince the shallot, then start by melting the butter (1 oz. for sauce) in the 2 qt pot over medium low heat.
- Add the minced shallot to the butter and a sprinkle of Balinese Truffle Salt. Cook the shallot until soft.
- Add the flour to the pot and cook, stirring, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of bone broth and turn the heat up to medium. Whisk until a paste forms.
- Add the rest of the chicken broth and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly.
- Turn the heat down to low and gently simmer while the chicken finishes cooking.
- When the chicken is done, remove the pan from the oven and transfer the chicken onto the cutting board.
- Drain the cooking liquid into the sauce. Adjust the sauce seasoning with Truffle Salt and sherry vinegar.
- Carve the chicken and plate alongside the roasted vegetables, pour some of the sauce and a finishing sprinkle of Balinese Truffle Salt on top and dig in!