Pan-Seared NY Strip Steak with Wild Mushrooms and Truffle Polenta
Mise en Place
- Cutting Board
- Large Saute Pan
- Large Spoon
- 2 qt Pot with Lid
- Mesh Strainer
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Paper Towel
( * Please keep refrigerated before class )
- 14 oz NY Strip Steak*
- ½ lb Wild Mushrooms*
- 1 jar Truffle Carpaccio
- 1 pint Milk*
- ⅓ cup Cream*
- 1 clove Garlic*
- 3 sprigs Thyme*
- 3 tbsp Madeira Wine
- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- ½ cup Anson Mills Polenta
- 1 packet Balinese Truffle Salt
- 2 oz Mascarpone*
- 2 oz Butter (reserve ½ for polenta)*
Prep During the Class
Just before the class begins, take out the steak, remove from the packaging, and allow it to sit at room temperature on a plate to temper.
- Place the polenta in the mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water.
- Transfer the rinsed polenta into 2 qt pot, cover with the milk and season lightly with Truffle Salt.
- Place the pot on the stove and bring to a light simmer on medium heat, whisking from time to time. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and continue to cook for about 45 minutes. Make sure to check the pot and whisk from time to time to prevent the polenta from sticking.
- Cut the mushrooms into bite-sized pieces, and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Chop the Truffle Carpaccio, reserve a couple of whole pieces for garnish.
How to Cook
- Heat a large saute pan over high heat.
- Season the steak with Balinese Truffle Salt.
- Add the canola oil to the pan. Right before the oil begins to smoke, add the steak to the pan.
- While cooking over high heat, flip the steak every 30 seconds. Keep flipping the steak every 30 seconds for about 2-3 minutes for a solid medium-rare.
- Right before the steak is finished, add half of the butter to the pan. Smash the garlic clove and add it top the pan along with the thyme. With your spoon, baste the steak for about one minute.
- Remove the steak from the pan and rest them on your cutting board. Top with garlic and thyme.
- While the steak is resting, heat the pan on medium-high heat and add the mushrooms to the pan. Saute on medium-high heat for about 2 minutes, stirring or tossing the pan from time to time.
- Deglaze the pan with the madeira and cook until the pan is almost dry. Add the cream to the pan and bring to a boil. Stir half the Truffle Carpaccio into the sauce and season the sauce with Truffle Salt.
- Add the remaining butter, mascarpone, and the rest of the Truffle Carpaccio to the polenta, whisk to combine.
- Slice the steak, sprinkle a little Balinese Truffle Salt on top to finish, cover with the mushrooms and enjoy!