Crispy Skin Duck a l'Orange with Roasted Parsnips
Mise en Place
- Cutting Board
- Large Saute Pan
- Large Spoon
- Pan Spray
- 2 qt Pot with Lid
- Paper Towels
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- Sheet Tray lined with Parchment Paper or Foil
( * Please keep refrigerated before class )
- 2 ea Duck Breast*
- 1 lb Parsnips*
- 1 jar Brown Butter Truffle Honey
- 1 oz Butter*
- 1 ea Granny Smith Apple*
- 2 oz Canola Oil
- 1 oz Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 ea Orange
- 1 packet Balinese Truffle Salt
- 2 oz Demi glace*
- 1 packet Coriander and Kampot Peppercorn
Prep the Night Before the Class
- Remove the duck from the packaging and dab dry with paper towels.
- Place on a plate, uncovered, in the fridge overnight to assist with drying out the duck skin.
Prep During Class
*** Just before the class begins, take out the duck and allow it to sit at room temperature on a plate to temper. ***
- Heat the oven to 375F.
- Peel the parsnips, cut into batons and toss with half of the canola oil, a drizzle of Brown Butter Truffle Honey, and some Balinese Truffle Salt.
- Lay the parsnips out on the sheet tray and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Peel and supreme the oranges.
- Peel and small dice ½ cup of the Granny Smith apple.
How to Cook
- Place the Brown Butter Truffle Honey and red wine vinegar in the 2 qt pot and cook over medium high heat until a glaze forms.
- Add the demi glace to the pan and bring to a simmer. Add the crushed coriander and black pepper and season with Balinese Truffle Salt. Cover with a lid and set aside.
- Lightly score the skin of the duck and season with Balinese Truffle Salt.
- Heat the large saute pan over medium heat. Add the rest of the canola oil to the pan and add the duck breasts, skin side down. Continue cooking over medium heat until the skin is rendered and crispy.
- Once the skin is crispy, add the butter to the pan and baste the back of the duck breasts.
- Flip the duck breasts over, remove the pan from the heat, and allow the duck breast to finish cooking gently in the butter.
- Remove the duck from the pan and let it rest on the cutting board.
- Add the diced apple to the sauce.
- Remove the parsnips from the oven and plate them as desired.
- Carve the duck into slices, arrange them on the plate, and top with the sauce. Lay the orange supremes on top and dig in!