Porcini Consommé and Truffle Grilled Cheese
Mise en Place
- Cutting Board
- 2 Large Mixing Bowl
- Large Pot
- Large Saute Pan
- Tea Towel
- Cheese Grater
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- Aluminum Foil (for pressing)
- Medium Saute Pan / Pot (for pressing)
- Sheet Tray lined with Aluminum Foil
( * Please keep refrigerated before class )
- 4 slices Sourdough Bread
- 1 bag Chicken Stock*
- 2 oz Dried Porcini Mushrooms
- 3 oz Wagon Wheel*
- 1 Onion
- 5 sprigs of Thyme
- 3 oz Mozzarella*
- ½ tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 jar Caramelized Onion Truffle Spread*
- 1 cluster Beech Mushrooms*
- 2 oz Butter*
- 1 packet Balinese Truffle Salt
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 oz Parmesan Rind*
- 1 tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- 8 oz Egg Whites*
- 8 cups Water
Prep the Night Before
- Wash, peel, and dice the carrots, leeks, and the onion.
- Place diced vegetables in a large pot. Add the bag of dried porcini mushrooms, thyme, black pepper, bay leaf, garlic, and parmesan rind.
- Add all of the stock and 2 quarts of water.
- Place the pot on the stove, bring it up to a simmer, and gently simmer for one hour.
- Strain the broth with the fine strainer into a large bowl, taste it, and realize you’re a rockstar. Cover and put it into the refrigerator until tomorrow. You should have 6 cups of finished broth.
Prep During the Class
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Take your porcini mushroom broth out of the fridge and place it on the stove. Bring it up to a simmer.
- Grate the Wagon Wheel and mozzarella cheeses, and mix them together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Cut the caps off of the beech mushrooms, and dice the stems.
- To form the grilled cheese sandwiches, lay out two slices of bread and spread half of the caramelized onion truffle spread between the two slices. Lay half of the graded cheese mixture one one slice of bread, and place the other slice on top. Repeat for the second sandwich.
How to Cook
- Place the egg whites in the large bowl, and whisk until the mixture is light and frothy.
- Slowly pour the hot broth over the egg whites while whisking.
- Transfer the mixture back into the large pot and bring back to a simmer on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash the large pot, place the colander inside, and line the colander with a damp tea towel. Pour the consomme over the tea towel to drain. Remove the tea towel and discard the cooked egg whites.
- Clean the large pot and place the consomme inside. Season with Balinese Truffle Salt and sherry vinegar.
- Place pot on medium heat, bring to a simmer and add the beech mushrooms. Keep warm.
- To cook the grilled cheese, heat half the butter in the large pan until foamy. Add the grilled cheese sandwich and lightly press with the smaller pan and a piece of aluminium foil in between.
- Cook until golden brown, flip, and cook until golden brown on the other side. Repeat with sandwich #2.
- Just before serving, place grilled cheese sandwiches on a sheet pan with aluminum foil and heat in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Ladle hot consomme into your favorite bowl, cut grilled cheese in half, and absolutely lose your mind over the stringy cheese that has changed the culinary world as you know it.