French Mother Sauces: Velouté (Chicken Pot Pie)
Cook Time 🍳
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 7 ounces butter
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- 3-5 medium carrots
- 1 small yellow onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- ½ bunch parsley
- ½ bunch oregano
- ½ bunch tarragon
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 bag poaching aromatic (coriander, chili flake, black pepper)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Champagne vinegar
- Truffle Carpaccio, to taste
- Balinese Truffle Salt, to taste
- 1 lemon
- 1 shallot
- ½ bunch asparagus
- Medium mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- 9” pie plate
- 2 medium sauce pots
- Wooden spoon
- ½ cup measure
- Rolling pin
- Cheese grater
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Granulated sugar
MISE EN PLACE 🥄
***1 Day Before Cooking***
Grate 1 stick (4 ounces) of the butter onto a plate and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together 1¼ cup of the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Crumble in the frozen butter and rub the flour and butter with your hands (like your hands are cold and you’re trying to warm them) until butter is pea-sized. Use your hands to incorporate 5 tablespoons of ice water until the dough just comes together, being careful not to overwork the flour. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and place in a medium pot with the poaching aromatics.
- Smash and peel 2 of the garlic cloves and add to the pot.
- Thinly slice the shallot and add to the pot.
- Juice the lemon and add to the pot, then cover the chicken with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, turn off the heat, cover, and allow the chicken to gently poach until cooked through, 10-15mins.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. When it’s cool enough to handle, shred and place in an airtight container in your fridge.
Strain and transfer the poaching liquid to a sealed container in your refrigerator or freezer to reserve for later use.
Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Dice the carrots and onion. Mince the remaining 3 garlic cloves. Slice the asparagus into coins. Pick all of the herbs and mince together. Haché half of the Truffle Carpaccio.
HOW TO COOK 🍳
In a medium saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter. When butter is foamy, add the onion, carrots, and sauté until tender.
- Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in ½ cup of flour and cook, stirring constantly for 5-7 mins.
- Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Simmer until thickened, then turn off the heat and add the shredded chicken, asparagus, hachéd Truffle Carpaccio, and herbs. Season with Balinese Truffle Salt and champagne vinegar. This is the filling!!!
- Place the filling in a pie plate and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, on a floured surface, roll out to at least 2” larger than the pie plate. Lay on top of the pie plate and filling, crimp, and score.
- Place in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 30-45 mins. Let rest, then slice off a piece and enjoy! Serve with your favorite hot sauce.