Spanish Tapas - Patatas Bravas y Gambas al Ajillo
Cook Time 🍳
Chef Tuck here! We’re going to Spain and whip up our very own tapas party! These highly popular small bites are perfect for sharing with friends as you bask in the sunshine and sip some sangria! Join me as we continue to eat our way around the world together! 🖤
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 1 egg yolk ❄
- 1 lemon
- Balinese truffle salt packet
- ¼ bunch parsley ❄
- 1 demi baguette
- 1 ounce tomato paste ❄
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup vegetable stock ❄
- 2 ounces sherry vinegar
- 1 pound shrimp ❄
- For Sangria:
- ½ fuji apple
- 1 navel orange
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup orange juice ❄
- ⅓ cup brandy (optional)
3 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Wooden spoon
- Cocktail spoon
- Mixing bowl
- 2 Large saute pans
- 1 Medium saute pan
- Baking sheet lined with rack
- Slotted spoon
- Measuring spoons
- Small ramekin
- ⅓ cup brandy (optional)
- 1 bottle red wine (Spanish, or your favorite!)
❄ Please keep refrigerated before class ❄
MISE EN PLACE 🥄
Making the Sangria
Peel and cut half of the apple.
- Cut orange into small pieces leaving the rind on.
- Add the apple and orange to a pitcher with the brown sugar. Mix well with a cocktail spoon and let set for 2 minutes.
- Add ¾ cup orange juice and ⅓ cup brandy to the pitcher and let sit for another 2 minutes.
- Add your favorite bottle of Spanish red wine to the pitcher. Adjust flavor to taste by adding more fruit, wine, or brandy..
- Keep refrigerated
Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces.
- Peel and slice 5 garlic cloves. Mince 4 additional cloves. Leave the 10th and final clove whole. Muy fuerte!
- In a mixing bowl, add the egg yolk. Zest in half of the lemon. Microplane the whole clove of garlic. Now season with a small pinch of truffle salt. Time to emulsify ½ cup of olive oil into the egg yolk mixture. To emulsify: whisking quickly, drizzle the oil slowly into the egg mixture. Adjust thickness of the aioli with half a lemon’s worth of juice and if needed, a splash of water. This is the garlic aioli for the patatas bravas.
- Chop the parsley.
- Slice the baguette and cover in foil.
How to Cook
In a large saute pan, heat ½ cup of olive oil over medium heat. Add the potatoes to the pan and cook for a few minutes until almost cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and set on a baking sheet lined with a rack. Place the tray in the fridge.
- In a medium saute pan, heat ¼ cup of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the sliced garlic to the hot oil and cook until it starts to brown.
- Remove the sliced garlic from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Drop the heat to medium low and add the tomato paste, half of the smoked paprika, half the red chili flakes, and half of the black pepper. Stir and let cook.
- In a separate small ramekin, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water and whisk together. This is a slurry.
- Add one cup of vegetable stock to the pan. Then add the slurry a little at a time and keep whisking until the sauce is smooth. Add a teaspoon of sherry vinegar and keep whisking until the sauce appears creamy and thickens slightly. Season to taste with Balinese truffle salt. This is a classic red bravas sauce.
- Pop the bread into the oven to warm.
- Reheat the potato pan over high heat and cook the potatoes a second time. This is for GBD and crispiness. Once golden and crispy, remove from the pan and season with Truffle Salt.
- Add ⅓ cup olive oil to a clean, large saute pan over medium low heat.
- Add the minced garlic and the remaining chili flakes and smoked paprika and saute until fragrant.
- Turn the heat to medium high and add the shrimp and the juice of half a lemon. Add in the remaining sherry vinegar. Stir until the shrimp are coated in the sauce and fully cooked, about 3 to 4 minutes. Do not let the sauce reduce completely. Season with truffle salt and the remaining pepper.
- Remove from heat and top with chopped parsley.
- Grab the bread from the oven. Slice into pieces.
- Plate the potatoes with the bravas sauce and the aioli. Plate the gambas al ajillo with sauce and the warmed baguette. These are your two tapas! Enjoy with the sangria!
Note from the Chef 👩🍳
This dish is best paired with Sangria! Cocktail recipe included!