White Truffle & Saffron Tagliatelle
Cook Time 🍳
Chef Jason & Tyler
Learn how to make pasta dough from scratch, how to laminate the dough beautifully with saffron and chives, and how to finish the pasta to the perfect al dente with a Parmesan sauce!
- 1 ½ cups 00 flour
- 4 egg yolks, 1 whole egg, 1
- teaspoon olive oil ❄
- 1 bunch chives ❄
- 1 pinch Spanish saffron
- ½ cup broth ❄
- 3 ounces unsalted butter ❄
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese ❄
- 1 lemon
- 1 packet Balinese Truffle Salt
Large lidded pot
- ½ cup measure
- Plastic wrap
- Large cutting board
- Rolling pin
- Large saute pan
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup measure
- Cheese grater
❄ PLEASE KEEP REFRIGERATED ❄
MISE EN PLACE 🥄
Fill a large pot with water, cover, and place on the stove on low heat.
- Set aside ½ cup flour for your “bench flour.”
- Lay the remaining flour on your counter and make a well in the center. Add the egg yolks, whole egg, and olive oil. Whisk the eggs and oil together with a fork until combined.
- Using your index finger like a dough hook, mix the eggs and oil into the flour until shaggy.
- Knead the dough until smooth, about 5-8 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest.
- Slice the chives and set aside.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough until it’s thin enough to read a piece of paper through it.
- Once the dough is paper thin, sprinkle some of the saffron threads across half of the dough.
- Fold the remaining dough over. Flour the dough with saffron on top. Continue rolling until the dough is once again thin enough to read a piece of paper through it.
- Fold the dough into thirds and cut into ¼ inch strips to form beautiful tagliatelle!
HOW TO COOK 🍳
Lightly season the boiling water with kosher salt.
- Add the pasta to the pot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Place the broth into the large saute pan along with the butter, another large pinch of saffron, a sprinkle of chives, and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt over medium high heat.
- Once the pasta has cooked, strain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta’s cooking water.
- Add the cooked pasta to the saute pan along with ½ cup of the pasta cooking water and continue to cook over medium high heat. Until the pasta is al dente and glazed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and grate half of the Parmesan cheese into the sauce. Add a sprinkle of chives right at the end.
- Adjust the seasoning with Balinese Truffle salt and lemon; stir to combine. Add a little bit of pasta water as needed to ensure a saucy consistency.
- Twirl the pasta onto your plate and cover with the remaining sauce. Finish with one last sprinkle of Balinese Truffle Salt and chives and dig into some beautiful Spanish saffron pasta!!