Varenyky/ Ukrainian Dark Cherry Dumplings
Cook Time 🍳
Start the year by learning another traditional Ukrainian dish! Our very own Chef Anna, born in Ukraine and the author of Budmo, will teach us how to make Varenyky the Ukrainian version of dumplings filled with sweetened dark cherries! This is best served as meal for brunch or a snack or BOTH! Join us as we tick off one of the recipes on our foodie bucket list!
- 3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 whole egg ❄
- 1 egg yolk ❄
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1½ pounds pitted black cherries ❄
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter ❄
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
4 ounces sour cream ❄
- Cutting board
- Tablespoon measures
- Measuring cup
- Large mixing bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Medium mixing bowl
- Kitchen towel
- Rolling pin
- Sheet tray
- Large pot with lid
- Slotted spoon
- Small pot
- Sifter or mesh strainer
- Glass or 3 inch cookie cutter
- Kosher salt
❄ Please keep refrigerated before class ❄
MISE EN PLACE 🥄
Fill a large pot with water, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Drain the black cherries.
- In a large bowl, stir together the 3 cups of flour and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add the whole egg, egg yolk, water, and 1 tablespoon sunflower oil to the well. Carefully whisk the egg mixture with a fork until combined. Then, using the fork, gradually draw the flour into the egg mixture and mix until the dough comes together in a shaggy mass.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cherries, granulated sugar, and cornstarch and stir gently to mix well. Set aside.
- Unwrap the dough and place it on a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough in half. Set half aside and cover with a kitchen towel. Roll out the other dough half into a large round ⅛” thick. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter or overturned glass, cut out as many dough rounds as possible. Lift away any dough scraps and set them aside. Cover the dough rounds with a kitchen towel to prevent them from drying out. Roll out the remaining dough half and cut out more rounds the same way. Press together with all the dough scraps, roll out, and cut out more rounds. Cover all the dough rounds with a kitchen towel.
- Dust a large sheet pan or cutting board with flour. To shape each dumpling, place 2 cherries in the center of a dough round and fold the dough in half to create a half-moon, being careful to press out any air and to pinch the edges to seal securely. Transfer the dumpling to the prepared pan. Repeat with the remaining rounds and filling. As you work, keep the shaped dumplings covered with a kitchen towel.
HOW TO COOK 🍳
When all the dumplings are shaped, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add the granulated sugar. Drop the dumplings into the boiling water, stir them gently with a spoon to prevent them from sticking together, and cook until plump and floating on top, about 5 to 7 minutes. Using a wire skimmer or other broad-slotted utensil, fish the dumplings out of the water and drop them into a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a small pot.
Drizzle the dumplings with the butter and toss gently to prevent them from sticking. If you want additional sweetness, sprinkle the dumplings with superfine sugar. Serve right away with dollops of sour cream on the side!