Tuck’s Duck & Warm Farro Salad
Cook Time 🍳
Learn how to pan-sear duck breast like a pro, just like we did at Michelin-starred kitchens: we'll score and render and baste and flip so the skin gets nice and crispy, and the meat stays super tender. From there, we'll serve your beautiful duck alongside a delicious warm Farro Salad with my favorite Dijon and Truffle Honey Vinaigrette!
- 2 duck breasts ❄
- ½ cup farro
- 1 ½ cup broth ❄
- 1 bay leaf ❄
- 1 packet Balinese Truffle Salt
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1½ tablespoons Dijon mustard ❄
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar ❄
- 1 jar Brown Butter Truffle Honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Granny Smith apple ❄
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese ❄
- ½ bunch basil ❄
- 1 clove garlic ❄
- 3 sprigs thyme ❄
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter ❄
- 1 cup arugula ❄
- 2 ounces fried shallots
- Paper towels
- Small pot
- 2 sheet trays
- 2 mixing bowls
- Cutting board
- Cheese grater
- Large saute pan
- Large spoon
- Wooden spoon
- Cup measure
- Tablespoon measure
❄ Please keep refrigerated before class ❄
Mise En Place 🥄
10 minutes before class, take out the duck breasts, remove from the packaging, and allow them to sit at room temperature on a paper towel-lined plate to temper. Preheat your oven to 400F***
- In a small pot on medium-high heat, stir together the farro, broth, bay leaf, and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt.
- When the broth begins to boil, turn the heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has absorbed and the farro is al dente, about 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and spread in one thin layer on a sheet tray. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, spread the pine nuts in one layer on a sheet tray and roast until golden brown and delicious, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the mustard, apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons of Brown Butter Truffle Honey, and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt in a large mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to emulsify. Set aside.
- Cube the apple, grate the Parmesan, and chiffonade the basil. Set aside.
- Smash the garlic with the palm of your hand. Set aside, along with the thyme and 3 tablespoons butter.
Score the duck breast.
How to Cook 🍳
- Heat the large saute pan over medium heat.
- Pat the duck breasts dry and add them to the pan, fat side down. Season with a healthy pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt and cook until the skin is browned and crispy, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook, meat side down, for 2 minutes.
- Flip and continue to cook until nicely browned on all sides. Turn the heat to low and add the garlic, thyme, and butter. Baste the duck until cooked to desired doneness, about 30 seconds more (or longer for well-done). Remove from the pan set aside to rest.
- Meanwhile, transfer the farro to a large mixing bowl. Gently stir in the apple, arugula, basil, pine nuts, and Parmesan. Stir in the vinaigrette to taste, and season with Balinese Truffle Salt.
- Slice that delicious duck breast, top with the crispy fried shallots, and plate alongside that beautiful warm farro salad. Thank you Chef Tucker!!!