Traditional Chinese Dumplings with Mrs. Huan
Cook Time 🍳
This on-demand video is a unique opportunity to learn how to make traditional Chinese dumplings from scratch with our friend Mrs. Huan (Michelin-starred Chef Jackson Yu of Omakase's very sweet and dear mother).With over forty years of experience making dumplings by hand, she'll teach you, step-by-step, her signature dumplings and world-famous dipping sauce.
- ½ lb Ground pork ❄ 1 bunch Scallion ❄ 1 cup Lukewarm water 1 knob Ginger ❄
- 1 ea Napa cabbage ❄ 1 ea Mrs. Huan Dipping Sauce ❄ ½ cup Chicken broth ❄ 1 ¼ lb AP flour
- 1 ea Seasoning mix ❄
2 Mixing bowls
Aluminum foil Large pot
½ cup Measuring cup
❄ Please keep refrigerated before class ❄
Mise en Place
- Fill the large pot halfway with water and place on the stove on low heat.
- Remove ½ cup of flour from the AP flour, set aside as bench flour. Measure out 1 cup of lukewarm water.
- Place the remaining flour into the mixing bowl and very gradually add the water into the flour. Knead with your hands until the dough forms and becomes smooth. Transfer the dough into the plastic bag to rest.
- Place ½ lb ground pork into the other mixing bowl.
- Very slowly add the ½ cup chicken broth and mix into the pork.
- Slowly add the seasoning mix and add into the pork mixture. Place the bowl into the fridge.
- Finely mince the ginger, slice the scallions and chop the cabbage. Lightly season the cabbage with salt and mix to incorporate.
- Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- Squeeze the cabbage with a kitchen towel to remove all excess water. Add the squeezed cabbage, scallion, and ginger to the pork mixture. This is the dumpling mix.
- Cut the dough into 4 portions and roll out into a rope. Cut small pieces of dough and follow Mrs. Huan as she rolls out the dumpling dough!!
- Follow along as Mrs. Huan forms the dumplings themselves. Transfer them onto the sheet tray lined with aluminum foil and sprinkled with flour. Sharpen those dumpling making skills with Mrs. Huan!!
How to Cook 🍳
- Bring the large pot of water to a boil. Fill up a mixing bowl with cold water.
- Add the dumplings to the boiling water and allow the water to come back to a boil. Once boiling, add a small amount of cold water. Bring back to the boil and repeat 2 more times. This is Mrs. Huan’s technique to cook the dumplings quickly, but not allow them to swell up with air!!
- Remove the dumplings from the boiling water and plate them up. Dig into those delicious dumplings with some dipping sauce and enjoy!!