Sweet Pea Ravioli
Cook Time 🍳
Master the technique of making pasta dough from scratch, assemble a sweet pea, mint, and mascarpone filling, and form ravioli by hand.
- 1¼ cup 00 flour
- 3 eggs, divided ❄
- 2 egg yolks ❄
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bag sweet English peas ❄
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese ❄
- 1 bunch mint ❄
- 1 lemon
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese ❄
- 1 packet Balinese Truffle Salt
- 1 clove garlic ❄
- 1 stick unsalted butter ❄
- 1 jar Truffle Carpaccio
- Cutting board
- Large lidded pot
- ½ cup measure
- Rolling pin
- Aluminum foil-lined sheet tray
- 2 mixing bowls
- Box cheese grater
- Kitchen towel
- Kosher salt
- Large saute pan
- Slotted spoon
- Pastry brush
- Paper towels
- Metal spoon
❄ Please keep refrigerated before class ❄
MISE EN PLACE 🥄
Fill the large pot with water, cover with a lid, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Set aside ½ cup of the 00 flour for bench flour. Pile the remaining flour onto your countertop and form a well in the center. Add 2 eggs, the egg yolks, and olive oil into the center of the well. Mix with a fork.
- Using your index finger like a dough hook, slowly incorporate the flour into the eggs. Use a knife or bench scraper to fold the dough, then form it into a shaggy ball. Knead until smooth, about 5-6 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest.
- Ready an ice bath. Season the boiling water with kosher salt and blanch the peas until tender and bright green, about 1-2 minutes. Transfer the peas to the ice bath to cool, then to a paper towel-lined plate or tray.
- Set aside ¼ cup of peas for garnish. Transfer the remaining peas to a mixing bowl and crush with the back of a fork. Add the mascarpone cheese, 2 tablespoons of chopped mint, lemon zest, and grate in half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Mix everything together, using the back of a spoon to crush. Adjust the seasoning with Balinese Truffle Salt and set aside in your refrigerator.
- Peel and slice the garlic. Refill the large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Roll the dough out into a very thin sheet with the rolling pin. Cut in half and brush with the remaining egg. Follow along to form raviolis like a pro!!
HOW TO COOK 🍳
In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 6 tablespoons of butter. Add the sliced garlic and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt and gently saute, until the garlic is soft but hasn’t taken on any color. Turn off the heat.
- Lightly season the boiling water with kosher salt. Cook the raviolis for 3 minutes, then transfer to the garlic butter along with ½ cup of the pasta water.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and braise the raviolis until al dente, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and gently stir in the reserved peas. Grate in some Parmesan and adjust the seasoning with Balinese Truffle Salt.
- Plate up the raviolis and season with a squeeze of lemon juice. Top with freshly grated Parmesan, a few slices of Truffle Carpaccio, and a final touch of that Balinese Truffle Salt. Garnish with torn mint and dig in!!