Smoked Salmon and Black Truffle Quiche with a Meyer Lemon Salad
Cook Time 🍳
Learn to cook a beautiful quiche from scratch! We’re teaching essential baking techniques, including how to make a quiche shell from start to finish and perfectly whisk eggs for the ideal custard consistency. With smoked king salmon, sauteed leeks, leafy greens, our Black Truffle Carpaccio, and a lemony salad on the side, this quiche can only be described as delightful!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter ❄
- ⅓ cup ice-cold water
- 1 leek ❄
- 1 packet Balinese Truffle Salt
- 4 ounces smoked king salmon ❄
- 1 jar Truffle Carpaccio
- 6 eggs ❄
- 1 pint cream ❄
- 1 pint whole milk ❄
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cups arugula ❄
- ¾ cups spinach ❄
- ¾ cups baby kale ❄
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese ❄
¼ cup measure
- ⅓ cup measure
- Rolling pin
- 2 large mixing bowls
- Plastic wrap
- Cutting board
- 2 9” pie tins
- Parchment paper
- Metal spatula
- Cheese grater
- Sheet tray
- Small saute pan
- Cooling rack
- 1 teaspoon measure
❄ Please keep refrigerated before class ❄
Please have 1 pound baking beans on hand for the class
MISE EN PLACE 🥄
The Night Before the Class
Place the flour, kosher salt, and butter into your refrigerator for at least one hour to chill.
- Once chilled, remove ¼ cup of flour from the package for bench flour. Ready ⅓ cup ice-cold water.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the kosher salt and remaining flour
- Dice 1 stick plus 4 tablespoons of butter and add it into the bowl with the flour and salt.
- Use your hands to rub together until only small pea-sized pieces of butter remain.
- Very gently mix the ⅓ cup ice water (without the ice!) into the bowl until a dough forms.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and fold twice. Lightly dust with flour and wrap with plastic wrap. Keep in your refrigerator until three hours before class (resting the dough prevents it from shrinking).
3 Hours Before the Class
Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out each half into a 10” circle, making sure your dough is at least one inch larger than the pie tins.
- Very gently transfer the dough into the pie tins.
- Cut a large round of parchment paper and lay on top of the pie dough. Fill with the baking beans (these are essential during baking because they maintain the dough’s shape).
- Bake, rotating half way through, until the crust is golden brown and delicious, about 45 minutes.
Remove the baking beans and return to the oven for an additional 3-5 minutes. Set aside your blind-baked shells to cool before class.
HOW TO COOK 🍳
Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Wash and slice the leek. In a small saute pan over medium heat, stir together a little butter with the sliced leeks and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt until soft. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Dice the smoked salmon. Chop half of the Truffle Carpaccio.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, chopped Truffle Carpaccio, and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt until frothy. This is the custard base.
- Place the blind baked pie shells onto a sheet tray.
- Lay the diced salmon and leeks along the bottom of the pie shells and the custard base.
- Transfer to the oven and bake, rotating half way through until nicely browned on top and the eggs barely quiver when shaken, about 50-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the Meyer lemon vinaigrette, zest and juice the lemon. Peel and mash the garlic clove.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, zest, mashed garlic, 1 teaspoon of water, and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil to emulsify.
- In another large mixing bowl, toss the greens together and set aside.
- Once the quiche is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, dress the greens very lightly with the Meyer lemon vinaigrette.
- Plate up the finished dish with a little side salad, top with some shaved Parmesan cheese, and place a slice of that beautiful smoked salmon quiche alongside. Finish that delicious quiche with a few slices of Truffle Carpaccio. Have fun and enjoy an amazing brunch!