Korean BBQ Short Ribs with Steamed Rice and All the fixings
Cook Time 🍳
Chef Tucker goes around the world! Devour your foodie bucket list with the planet's iconic food and recipes.
On this trip, we’re headed off to Korea with some Korean Short Ribs! They’re thinly sliced on the bone and super scrumptious. Learn to make a Korean BBQ-style sauce over some beautifully steamed rice and all the accompaniments for the best Korean rice bowl in your very own kitchen! Get ready for a sweet and spicy adventure with Chef Tucker, and don’t forget to grab a Sweet & Salty, and a mixology kit to take this dish to the next level!
1lb Korean short ribs
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Balinese Truffle Salt
- ½ of a large carrot
- 1 small daikon radish
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Korean chili powder
- 1 small Napa cabbage or red cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ of a large carrot
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chile
- ½ cup Kewpie mayo
- 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons gochujang
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ ounce ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup Brown Butter Truffle Honey
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon gochujang
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cutting board
- Microplane or zester
- Small pot with a lid
- Small pot
- Small saute pan
- Large saute pan (or cast iron)
- Container for marinating short ribs
- 2 medium bowls
- Box grater
Mise en Place 🥄
Homework: The Night Before the Class 📖
Peel and mince 5 cloves of garlic. Peel and grate a knob of ginger on the microplane, until you collect 1 tablespoon of grated ginger.
- In a small pot on medium heat, whisk together 1 cup of soy sauce, ½ cup water, ½ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup Brown Butter Truffle Honey, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, 1 tablespoon grated ginger, 1 tablespoon gochujang, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and 1 teaspoon black pepper together.
- Bring up to a boil.
- Whisk together the tablespoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon of water until the cornstarch dissolves. This is called a slurry. Pour the slurry into your soy sauce mixture once it has reached a boil. Drop the heat to medium-low and cook until the sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
- Let the sauce cool.
- Reserve a quarter of the sauce for tomorrow and use the rest to marinade all of the short ribs overnight! Stick them into a bag, bowl with plastic wrap, or container and pour the sauce over. Leave covered overnight in the fridge.
In the small pot, combine the cup of jasmine rice with two cups of stock. Add the bay leaf in and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt. Grate in one clove of garlic with the Microplane.
- Bring the rice up to a boil then adjust the heat down to a low simmer, cover, and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is fully cooked.
- Cut half the carrot and the daikon radish into matchsticks. Julienne the red pepper.
- Combine one cup rice wine vinegar, one cup sugar, a half cup of water, a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt, and a pinch of chili flakes to a small pot. Bring up to a boil and then drop in your matchstick carrot and daikon. Turn off heat and let them steep. These are the pickled vegetables.
- Quarter and finely shred the cabbage.
- Grate the other half of the carrot on the box grater for fine shreds.
- Bias slice the scallions.
- Slice jalapeno or serrano.
- To make the slaw dressing: whisk together ½ cup of kewpie mayo, 3 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons of gochujang, and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Grate in two cloves of garlic and a small knob of ginger. Zest in one lime and the juice from it as well. Taste the dressing and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Mix the shredded cabbage, shredded carrot, bell pepper, and scallions with the kewpie slaw dressing. Adjust seasoning to taste and let it marinate for a few minutes to increase the flavor.
How to Cook 🍳
In a small sauté pan over medium low heat, dry toast the sesame seeds until fragrant. Turn off heat and set aside.
- You can use the same saute pan to reheat the remaining marinade. Bring the marinade up to a simmer then turn the heat off.
- Start to heat your large sauté or cast iron pan over high heat.
- Add your oil once the pan starts to smoke. Add your short ribs to the pan, flipping every 30 seconds until medium rare, about 4-5 minutes. Remove the short ribs from the pan, transfer them to a cutting board, and let them rest off heat.
- Remove the bay leaf from the rice and fluff it with a fork.
- Plate up the rice and slaw and serve the short ribs over the top. Add more sauce if you’d like over the top of the short ribs. Add some pickled veg matchsticks on top for some acid! Sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds over the top and you’re ready to dive in!