Gluten Free Pavlova with Lemon Curd & Chantilly Cream
Baking and Pastry
Cook Time 🍳
The pavlova is a simple dessert in ingredients but so complex in technique. Getting the perfectly fluffy meringue that dries beautifully in the oven is quite the task and takes a little practice to get it just right. To keep these light and delicious, we are pairing them with lemon curd, fresh fruit, and vanilla chantilly cream. The perfect combo!!
- 3 egg whites
- 180 grams (¾ cup + 2 tablespoons) sugar
- 1 gram (¼ teaspoon) cream of tartar
- 5 grams (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 15 grams (1½ tablespoons) cornstarch
- 115 grams (½ cup + 1 tablespoon) sugar
- 2 Lemons
- 2 Eggs
- 115 grams (1 4-oz stick) butter, unsalted
- 225 grams (1 cup) heavy cream 35 grams (2 tablespoons) sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 kiwi
- 1 blood orange
- Parchment lined sheet tray
- Metal mixing bowl (or other heat proof bowl)
- Electric mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Cookie scoop
- Small saucepan
- Medium bowl
- Piping bag
- 5 eggs
For the Pavlova
For the Lemon Curd
For the Chantilly Cream
Mise En Place
Please have ingredients in bold on hand for this recipe
- Make the Pavlova
- Preheat your oven to 275F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Fill the small pot half way with water and bring to a boil.
- In the metal mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar.
- Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and cook whisking constantly until all of the sugar has dissolved or the mixture has reached 140F.
- Place the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer and whip on high speed for 7 minutes or until medium peaks form.
- After 7 minutes, fold in the zest of 1 lemon, vanilla extract, and cornstarch.
- Using a large cookie scoop or spoon, scoop out 6-8 dallops of the meringue mixture onto your sheet tray.
- Spread lightly with an offset spatula to flatten.
- Bake the meringues at 275F for 45-60 minutes or until the mixture is firm on the outside. Turn off the oven and leave the pavlovas in the oven to finish drying out. Once cool, remove from the oven and store in an airtight container.
- Zest the two lemons into a metal mixing bowl and add in ½ cup + 1 tablespoon of sugar. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together to release the oils.
- Add in the juice of the lemons and two eggs. Mix until well combined
- Chop 1 stick of butter and add it into the lemon mixture.
- Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened.
- Strain the mixture into a container with a lid.
Make the Chantilly Cream
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the cream and remaining sugar.
- Split the vanilla bean pod lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Add into the cream mixture.
- Whip to medium peaks.
Assemble the Pavlova
- Using a skewer, poke some holes in the side of the pavlova.
- Pipe in a little bit of the lemon curd to get it nice and delicious
- Dollop the cream on top of the pavlova.
- Top with fresh fruit and enjoy!!