Fresh Pasta Carbonara
Cook Time 🍳
Learn to make tagliatelle from scratch with a luxurious carbonara sauce! Chef Tucker will walk you through each step to hand make, knead, roll, and cut pasta dough, and teach you to make a creamy carbonara with truffle and fresh lemon.
- 1 ½ cups 00 flour
- 4 egg yolks, 1 whole egg, 1 teaspoon olive oil, lightly whisked ❄
- 1 egg yolk ❄
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 shallot
- 3 ounces pancetta ❄
- 1 ounce Parmesan ❄
- 1 jar Truffle Carpaccio
- ⅔ cup cream ❄
- 1 handful baby kale ❄
- 1 packet Balinese Truffle Salt
- 1 lemon ❄
- Large pot with a lid
- Plastic wrap
- Cutting board
- Rolling pin
- Large saute pan
- Wooden spoon
- ½ cup measure
- Cheese grater or Microplane
❄ Please keep refrigerated before class ❄
Mise En Place 🥄
Fill a large pot with water, cover, and place on your stove on low heat.
- Set aside ½ cup of 00 flour for bench flour.
- Lay the remaining flour on your counter and make a well in the center. And add the 4 egg yolks, 1 whole egg, and 1 teaspoon olive oil to the center of the well. Use a fork to whisk the eggs and oil until combined, then use a knife or bench scraper to incorporate the flour.
- Form the dough into a ball and knead for 5-8 minutes. Seal in plastic and set aside to rest.
- Peel and finely dice the shallot. Dice the pancetta.
- Roll out the pasta dough to be thin enough to read a piece of paper through it, using the reserved bench flour as necessary. Cut into tagliatelle and dust with some of the reserved bench flour.
How to Cook 🍳
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the pancetta and saute until the fat has rendered, about 2 minutes. Add the shallot and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt and continue stirring until the shallot has softened.
- Add the cream and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn off the heat.
- Lightly season the large pot of boiling water with kosher salt. Add the fresh pasta and cook until al dente, about 2 minutes. Transfer ½ cup of the pasta water into the saucepan, then drain.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce. Bring back to a boil over medium-low heat.
- Add the egg yolk and turn off the heat. Use tongs to incorporate the egg yolk, moving the pasta constantly. Grate in half of the Parmesan, add the baby kale and toss to coat. Season with Balinese Truffle Salt and lemon zest to taste.
- Split the Carbonara between two plates and top with Truffle Carpaccio. Sprinkle with more freshly grated Parmesan and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt. Enjoy!!!