Valentine's Day Chocolate Lava Cake
Cook Time 🍳
These cakes are the perfect make-ahead dessert to enjoy after a luxurious dinner! Make the cake and then bake it right before you serve it!
- 1 heatsafe mixing bowl, 2 mixing bowls
- Medium saucepan
- Rubber spatula
- Sheet tray
- Pan spray
- Measuring spoons
- 4-4 ounce ramekins or heatsafe teacups
- Pipette or piping bag
- 113 grams (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter ❄
- 170 grams (6 ounces) dark chocolate
- 2 eggs ❄
- 2 egg yolks ❄
- 40 grams (3 tablespoons) sugar
- 30 grams (3 tablespoons) all purpose flour
- 6 egg yolks ❄
- 100 grams (½ cup) sugar
- 450 grams (2 cups) half & half ❄
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 grams (½ cup) raspberry puree
MISE EN PLACE 🥄
❄ PLEASE KEEP REFRIGERATED BEFORE CLASS ❄
For the Cake
For the Anglaise
To Make The Cake
- Preheat your oven to 450F.
- Spray your ramekins with pan spray and then use two tablespoons of sugar to coat the ramekin.
- Bring a medium saucepan filled with an inch of water to a boil over high heat.
- In a medium heatsafe mixing bowl, combine the 1 stick of unsalted butter and the dark chocolate. Place over the pan of boiling water and stir occasionally as they melt. Mix well until homogeneous.
- In a separate bowl, combine the 2 eggs, 2 egg yolks, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and an optional pinch of salt..
- Whisk the mixture until it lightens in color, becomes foamy, and falls in ribbons. Set aside.
- Using your rubber spatula, fold the chocolate into the egg mixture.
- Fold in the all purpose flour.
- Portion evenly between your baking containers, set on a sheet tray, and bake until the outer edge is set and the inside is still jiggly, about 6-10 minutes. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
To Make The Anglaise
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, bring the half & half to a simmer.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the 6 egg yolks and remaining ½ cup of sugar
- Once the half & half begins to simmer, slowly stream half of it into the egg mixture, stirring constantly.
- Return the mixture back to the saucepan and place over a medium heat. Stir constantly with a heatproof spatula until the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of a spoon. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Mix two tablespoons of raspberry puree with two tablespoons of the creme anglaise.
- To plate, place a large spoonful of the anglaise on your plate, place drops of raspberry anglaise onto the white anglise. Using a toothpick, pull it through the raspberry puree to make little heart shapes.
- Plate the cake on top of the anglaise and enjoy every bite of the deliciousness!!
Note from the Chef 👩🍳
*To save the unbaked cakes, cover and place in the fridge. Allow them to come to room temp 1 hour before baking.
*Please note in the video format, the hearts were just made with the raspberry puree but the raspberry anglaise is a nicer way to plate it up.