Büche De Noël Yule Log Cake
Cook Time 🍳
The Büche De Noël is one of the cutest cakes for the wintertime. It is a light and airy sponge cake filled with cream and covered in rich chocolate ganache! It is covered in the cutest frosted cranberries, rosemary, and meringue mushrooms. It looks like it came right out of a Christmas forest! Please note this class will be 3 hours and has a few homework assignments.
- For the Ganache
- 225 grams (1 cup) heavy cream
- 225 grams (8 ounces) 60-75% dark chocolate
- For the Frosted Cranberries
- 400 grams (2 cups) sugar
- 170 grams (¾ cups) water
- 100 grams (1 cup) cranberries
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- For the Meringue Mushrooms
- 1 egg white
- 25 grams (2 tablespoons) granulated sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 7 grams (1 tablespoon) cocoa powder
- For the Cake
- 170 grams (1 ⅓ cup) cake flour
- 10 grams (2 tablespoons) cocoa powder
- 4 grams (1 teaspoon) baking powder
- 3 grams (½ teaspoon) salt
- 6 eggs, separated
- 200 grams (1 cup) sugar
- 30 grams (2 tablespoons) vegetable oil
- 8 grams (1 ½ teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 5 grams (1 ½ teaspoon) instant espresso powder
- For the Whipped filling
- 450 grams (2 cups) heavy cream
- 100 grams (½ cup) sugar
- 14 grams (2 tablespoons) cocoa powder
- 28 grams (1 ounce) flavored liquor (amaretto, Frangelico, kirsh, etc.)
- Have extra powdered sugar and cocoa powder on hand
- 2 medium saucepans
- Rubber spatula
- Electric mixer
- Piping bag with round tip
- Medium mixing bowls
- 2 sheet trays lined with parchment paper
- Offset spatula
- Parchment paper
- Serrated knife
❄ Please keep refrigerated before class ❄
Mise En Place 🥄
Homework: The Night Before the Class) Required 📖
Night before the class (Make the ganache):
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cream up to a boil.
- Add in the chocolate and let the mixture sit for 1-2 minutes or until the chocolate has started to melt.
- Whisk until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Transfer the mixture to a tupperware and allow it to cool. Once cooled, cover and sit at room temperature overnight. If it gets cold in your kitchen, leave it in a warmer place in the kitchen.
Homework: Night Before the Class) Optional but Recommended for Cute Decorating 📖
Night before the class (Make the Meringue Mushrooms):
- Preheat the oven to 225F.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 egg white with 25 grams (2 tablespoons) sugar and a pinch of cream of tartar.
- Whip with an electric mixer until you have reached stiff peaks.
- Transfer to a piping bag with a round tip.
- On a parchment lined sheet tray, pipe out quarter sized dollops of the meringue mixture
- Sprinkle the top with a light dusting of cocoa powder..
- Bake at 225F for 30 minutes - 1 hour or until the meringues feel dry but have not taken on much color.
- Turn off the heat and let the meringues sit in the oven overnight to dry out.
Make the Cake 🍰
Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Spray and line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whip the 6 egg whites and ½ cup of sugar until you reach stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whip the 6 egg yolks, remaining ½ cup of sugar, oil, vanilla, and espresso powder until light and fluffy.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolks.
- Sift the dry ingredients on top of the batter and fold them in until the mixture is streak free.
- Transfer to the sheet tray and bake at 350F for 15-25 minutes.
- The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the cake bounces back when pressed.
- Once the cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes.
- While still hot, run a knife around the edge to release the cake from the pan
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on your work surface. Dust the surface with cocoa powder.
- Flip the cake onto the cocoa powdered surface. Roll the short edge of the cake into a spiral.
- Transfer the rolled cake to the freezer for 15- 20 minutes.
Make the Frosted Cranberries 🍒
In a medium saucepan, combine the 1 cup of sugar and ¾ cup of water. Bring to a simmer until the sugar dissolves.
- Add in the cranberries and rosemary. Simmer on low for 5 minutes. The syrup should have turned a light pink color. (If the cranberries begin to burst, remove from the heat before 5 minutes).
- Using a slotted spoon, drain out the cranberries and rosemary and place on a parchment lined sheet tray to drain and cool for a few minutes.
- Toss the cranberries and rosemary with the remaining 1 cup of sugar until well coated.
- Store in an airtight container lined with paper towels.
Make the Filling 🍰
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream, sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract.
- Using an electric mixer or whisk, whip on high speed until stiff peaks are formed. Fold in the flavored liquor.
Remove the cake from the refrigerator. Unroll and fill with the chocolate cream using an offset spatula .
- Roll the cake. Using a serrated knife, slice off the end pieces to expose the swirl inside. Slice off one quarter of the cake at a 45 degree angle.
- Using a small amount of ganache, attach the small piece of cake to the side of the larger cake.
- Using an offset spatula cover the whole cake with ganache. Do not worry about a perfectly smooth coating.
- Using a fork, give the log some texture to resemble tree bark.
- Sprinkle a mix of powdered sugar and cocoa powder over the cake to resemble snow.
- Decorate with frosted cranberries, rosemary, and meringue mushrooms.
- Bask in your amazing skills and the glory of your cake before digging in and enjoying!!