English Afternoon Tea with Sandwiches, Scones, and a Sweet Treat
Cook Time 🍳
Chef Jeremy Jarman
Gather your besties, fill the teapot, and prepare to spill the tea. Chef Jeremy, with four summers of tea house magic under his apron, will lead you through a delightful culinary journey of delectable treats, perfect for a memorable afternoon tea.
What you'll learn:
🍰 Crafting perfectly moist and delectable scones
🥪 Preparing both cucumber and smoked salmon sandwiches
🍨 Creating a decadent dessert in under 10 minutes
300 grams (2¼ cups) all purpose flour
- 10 grams (1 tablespoon) baking powder
- 100 grams (½ cup) sugar
- 5 grams (1 teaspoon) kosher salt
- 56 grams (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 85 grams (¼ cup + 2 tablespoons) cream
- 5 grams (1 teaspoon) vanilla
- 2 whole eggs, beaten, divided
- Jam or Lemon curd, for serving
4 slices of soft white bread
- 4 slices of soft wheat bread
- 113 grams (4 oz) unsalted butter
- ½ bunch thyme
- 1 lemon
- 1 english cucumber
- 113 grams (4 oz) cream cheese
- ½ bunch dill
- 56 grams (¼ cup) pickled shallots
- 340 grams (12 oz) smoked salmon
450 grams (1 pint) heavy cream
- 170 grams (6 oz) dark chocolate
❄ Please keep refrigerated before class ❄
For the Scones
For the Sandwiches
For the Mousse
Homework: 1 hour before making the recipe
Remove 1 stick of butter from the fridge to come to room temperature.
Remove the cream cheese from the fridge to soften.
Make the Scones 🫓
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the baking powder, sugar, salt, and all but ½ cup of the flour.
- Chop the butter into small pieces and then rub it into the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons cream, vanilla, and ¾ of the eggs.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and using a rubber spatula, fold in the cream.
- Flour your countertop with the remaining flour. Transfer the scone mixture to the counter and press into a disk. Cut into 6-8 even wedges. Transfer to a parchment-lined sheet tray with 2 inches between each piece.
- Brush the tops with the remaining egg mixture.
- Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes until golden brown
- Cool and serve with butter and jam or curd.
Make the Sandwiches 🥪
Chop the thyme, dill, and pickled shallots.
- Using a peeler, peel stripes off of your cucumber skin, leaving a little bit of the skin between each peeled area so you get a striped cucumber. Slice the cucumbers into ¼ inch slices.
- In a small bowl, combine the soften butter, thyme, and the zest of half a lemon. Season to taste with salt.
- In a separate small bowl, combine all the soften cream cheese, dill, chopped pickled shallots, and the remaining lemon zest. Season with salt to taste.
- To assemble the cucumber sandwiches, lay out 4 pieces of bread. Spread the inside of each slice with the herbed butter. On two of the slices, lay on half of the cucumbers, sprinkle the cucumbers with a little salt. Sandwich the bread together with both buttered sides facing inward.
- Slice off the crust and then slice each sandwich into 4 small squares. Place a small dab of butter in the center of each sandwich. Top with one remaining cucumber. Salt the cucumbers on top of the sandwich lightly.
- Transfer to a tray covered with a damp paper towel.
- To assemble the smoked salmon sandwich
- Lay out all 4 slices of bread. Spread the bread with the flavored cream cheese. Lay the smoked salmon slices on two slices of the bread and then sandwich the bread together.
- Slice off the crust and then slice each sandwich into 4 triangles.
- Place on the tray with the cucumber sandwiches. Cover with damp paper towels until it's time to serve.
Make the Mousse ☕
In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup of cream to a simmer.
- Place the chocolate in a medium heat safe bowl. Once the cream is boiling, pour over the chocolate. Let the mixture stand for 2 minutes then whisk until smooth. Set the mixture aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whip the remaining 1 cup of cream to soft peaks.
- Once whipped, fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to your favorite serving cups. Chill to set!
- *If you prefer it sweeter, you can add a little sugar to the cream as you are whipping it.