French Mother Sauces: Bechamel (Truffle Mac n Cheese)
Cook Time 🍳
Chef Tyler Vorce
Indulge in the art of French mother sauces with our Bechamel Mastery Class! Unveil the secrets of crafting the perfect Bechamel sauce, the cornerstone of countless gourmet dishes. Elevate your culinary prowess and learn how to transform this velvety masterpiece into a classic comfort food favorite: Mac n' Cheese.
- 5 ounces cheddar
- 5 ounces mozzarella
- 5 ounces artisanal semi-hard cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Balinese Truffle Salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 9 ounces macaroni
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Large pot with a lid
- Cutting board
- Cheese grater
- Medium saucepan
- Small saute pan
- Wooden spoon
- Large bowl
- Cast iron skillet or pyrex container
- 1 cup measure
MISE EN PLACE 🥄
Bring a large pot filled with water to a boil, covered, over low heat.
- Mince half of the Truffle Carpaccio.
- Grate the cheddar, mozzarella, and artisanal semi-hard cheese into a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Peel and mince the garlic clove.
HOW TO COOK 🍳
In a medium sauce pot over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic and a pinch of Balinese Truffle Salt and stir until the garlic has softened.
- Add the flour and continue stirring until you’ve made a blond roux, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the whole milk to the pot and turn the heat to medium-high. Whisk until a smooth paste forms.
- Add the remaining milk, the cream, and the bay leaf and continue whisking until the mixture is at a full boil.
- Adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Simmer on low heat, whisking occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Season the large pot of boiling water with kosher salt and stir. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente (about 8-9 minutes). Strain.
- Turn off the béchamel pot’s burner and remove and discard the bay leaf. Add the grated cheese and whisk to combine.
- Whisk in the chopped Truffle Carpaccio. Taste and adjust the seasoning with Balinese Truffle Salt.
- Fold the cooked rallenti pasta into the cheese sauce.
- In a small saute pan over medium-low heat, stir together the panko and dried thyme. Toast until the panko is GBD (Golden Brown & Delicious).
- Plate the Mac & Cheese in a cast iron skillet or Pyrex container. Top with the crispy toasted panko, Truffle Carpaccio slices, and Balinese Truffle Salt. Enjoy that delicious mac n cheese and pat yourself on the back, you’ve now got a solid repertoire of sauce skills!!!