Chicken and Mushroom Crepes
Cook Time 🍳
Chef Anna Voloshyna
Thin, buttery crepes filled with chicken and mushrooms. Perfect for special occasions and family gatherings, these crepes are incredibly tasty and bring a festive and adorable touch to the table. Under Chef Anna's guidance, you'll learn the secrets to making delicate and delightful crepes. Discover the art of shaping and tying each crepe, adding a charming and festive flair to your creations.
❄ Please keep refrigerated before class ❄
2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon Balinese Truffle Salt
- 1½ cups whole milk, at room temperature ❄
- 1½ cups water, at room temperature
- 4 eggs ❄
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled ❄
- Sunflower oil, for the pan
1 medium yellow onion
- 8 ounces button mushrooms ❄
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 pound ground chicken ❄
- ¼ cup sour cream ❄
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions, green part only ❄
- Balinese Truffle Salt
- Black pepper
- 16 green onions, for serving ❄
- Sour cream, for serving ❄
- Parsley, chopped, for serving
- Cutting board
- Medium bowls
- Plastic wrap
- Large saute pan
- Wooden spatula
- 10 inch nonstick frying pan
- Spatula, for flipping crepes
- Pastry brush
- Clean kitchen towel
- Black Pepper
For the Crepe Batter
For the filling
MISE EN PLACE 🥄
1-2 hours before class: Remove your eggs and milk from the fridge to bring to room temperature.
Right before class: Melt the butter and allow to cool
Make the Crepe Batter
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 1 ½ cups milk, water, and eggs . While continuing to whisk constantly, gradually add the flour mixture to the milk mixture. When all of the flour mixture is incorporated, continue to whisk until you have a smooth batter with a consistency slightly thicker than that of heavy cream.
- Pour in the butter and give the batter a good stir. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the batter rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours before cooking the crepes.
Make the Filling
Chop the yellow onion. Slice the button mushrooms. Chop 1-2 green onions.
- In a large sauté pan, heat a few tablespoons of sunflower oil over medium-high heat. Add the yellow onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook, breaking up any large chunks with a wooden spatula, until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream and chopped green onion and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the filling to a medium bowl and set aside to cool.
Assemble the Crepes
- Preheat a 10-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Lightly brush the hot pan with the oil to make sure the crepe doesn’t stick. Give the batter a good stir with a whisk right before you begin cooking. Using a ladle, pour a small amount of the batter (about 1/2 cup) into the hot pan and immediately rotate the pan to spread the batter as thinly as possible. Cook the crepe over medium heat until lightly browned on the edges, about 1 minute. Loosen the edges of the crepe with a spatula, flip the crepe over, and cook on the second side until lightly golden, 20 to 30 seconds. Transfer the crepe to a warmed platter.
- Repeat the same steps with the remaining batter, stacking the crepes as they emerge from the pan and covering them with a kitchen towel to keep them warm. If your crepes stick to the pan, brush the pan with a little more oil.
- To assemble each crepe, place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling on the center of the crepe. Gather the edges of the crepe up and around the filling, creating a “beggar’s purse .” Wrap a long green onion leaf around the top and tie a loose knot to close it.
- Alternatively, place 2-3 tablespoons of the filling at the bottom of the crepe. Fold in the two sides of the crepe to meet in the center. Roll up the crepe to seal.
- Arrange the bundles on a platter and serve right away with additional sour cream and chopped parsley.